Open Men Hunters
The road relays brought typical Melbourne weather to the fore for XCR: each leg of the race saw a different season, and some saw all the weather Melbourne could throw at them. It turned into a tough day for racing with strong winds to contend with on the home straight, not to mention the occasional downpour without warning.
This week the U20 team’s loss was our gain – Ben Kelly & Jack Bullock slotted into Divs 1 and 2 easily and both ran well – more than holding their own against their more senior teammates. A big PB by Rhydian Cowley, who’s fast becoming a decent runner, kicked the men’s Div 1 team off to a great start. Strong results all the way down had our top men finishing a commendable sixth, keeping the team up high in the overall standings for the year. A strong group of runners on their heels in Div 2 all ran well, with most setting new PRs. Their sixth place result was made even more impressive by “technical difficulties” at the last two changeovers.
The pair of Matts (Wynne & Larkin) in Div 3 each ran solid PBs, by 2 minutes apiece, while Victor Cook’s years of experience saw him add another strong time to his Sandown record. We saw great improvements right down the order, with Len and Ian in particular taking minutes off their times from last year.
Master team, made up from Paul Strangio, Andrew Ross and Michael Ryan had a great performance again taking another win this season. Good run boys! 🙂
Congratulations to all the Hunter men for competing on the day – yet again we comfortably filled all seven divisions, with some great individual performances all the way down!
With the cross country season half way through we took to Sandown Racecourse for Round 5 and our first taste of road running this season with 6.2km relay legs.
- Continuing their winning streak our division 1 team finished 1st, taking out the Les Perry Perpetual Trophy yet again
- Both backing up incredible half marathons last weekend Amelia and Karinna ran the fastest times for the Hunter women, 21.32 and 21.34 respectively
- Divisions 2 and 3 finished 2nd and 7th. Kaori Nakase was a welcome member of the div 2 team, stepping up to run open and her first time taking on the two laps
- Huge personal bests were set by Amelia, Cass, Stacey, Laura, Frankie and Kara. And there were some excellent first time runs on the course by a number of girls
- The masters team, made up of Robyn, Paula and Gill were all smiles as they accepted their bronze medals
Congratulations to you all on a great day of ‘mostly dry’ racing (except that unlucky third leg). See you all at Albert Park!
Junior Boys Hunters
Outstanding results from junior boys with TWO SILVER Medals.
- The run of Ben Kelly to move up into the seniors and have his first run for division 1 and Jack Bullock into Division 2
- The debut of Adam Spencer to produce equal fastest U14 run of the day
- Sam Toll’s fourth fastest U18 with Chris Hibbert =5th and Daniel Hamilton =7th
- Haftu Strintzos’s run for fourth fastest in U16
- State 1500m Champ, Jasper Pickering’s solid lead off for U16
- Cody Bellgrove’s debut with U14 and his team motivation in bringing a friend Romin to complete an U14 team
- Jack Highnam’s effort for fastest in team 2 in U18
- Will Ockenden’s continued impressive season in U16 for a top 10 U16
- Declan Murphy’s impressive effort in returning from severe injury
- Max Meuleman 15yo effort in U18 for impressive time
And a huge thank you and appreciation to all parents who came to support their sons; especially to Julie Nield, Heather Curtis, Maria Strintzos, Michelle McAviare, Chris Murphy and Graham Spencer who all assisted with recording and organizing the boys.
Junior Girls Hunters
Thanks to some great work from Peter Cuttler & Sonia O’Sullivan we saw tremendous results from the Junior Girls at Sandown. We had 12 runners – filling teams in U14, U16, U18 & U20, and we won team medals in U14 (Silver) & U18 (Bronze). We finished 4th in U16 & 6th in U20.
Included in our teams were several girls having their first runs with the club – Sophie O’Sullivan (who amazingly broke club records for the Sandown circuit for U14, U16, U18 & U20 age groups), Juliet & Larissa McBurney, & Genevieve O’Brien.
Thanks to the parents & friends who looked after each of our teams.
For more information about results and hunters performance please visit the following link: 2014 Sandown Road Relays Results
Report prepared by: Cass Higham, Simon Bowly, Philip Hutton & Trevor Vincent
Results prepared by: Trevor Vincent